Thursday, September 11, 2008

September Zuda

So the new Zuda competition is up and I've narrowed it down to my top three.

I haven't quite made up my mind up but I'm kinda leaning toward Steve Steiner's Middle-Aged Monster.















This is Steve's third shot at the Zuda prize and each entry has been funnier than the last. I really like the new art style he's got going on for this one - all vector, all the time. It works. The concept grabs you from the get-go (who doesn't like giant city-destroying monsters?), the story and characters are funny and engaging and the it goes out on a perfect cliffhanger, leaving the reader hungry for more. Great stuff, Steve!

My other favorite at the moment is Problems by Stplmstr (enemy of vowels).
















I just lurrrrve the art on this one. I love the color. I adore page 3. And I dig the Robottalk. Extremely appealing and smartly written. The big problem with Problems is really the title. That's a real boring title. But I dig the art so much I'm willing to let it slide. I'm really torn between this and MAM.

Another entry I really like is Janggar: Son of the Steppe by Steveapalooza.

















This one's also got great art, color, and an intriguing story with a pretty new angle. I really dig the decorative backgrounds too. I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. Professional level work. This one would be an easy vote if I didn't like MAM and Problems just a wee bit more this month.

Okay, that's it for me. I gots work to do...

No comments: