Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scam Scam Bo Bam Banana Fanna Fo Fam

It's your Thursday serving of The Scam!

The Scam page 20

Gabe is at the breaking point!

So, I finally saw Watchmen. What can I say that hasn't already been said by smarter and more erudite folks than me? Who cares? It's my blog and I'll prattle on anyway.

I fucking loved it. I thought it was the best superhero movie ever. Better than Iron Man. Better than Dark Knight. Better than my beloved X-Men 2. Zach Snyder has proven that he deserves to be called a visionary director even though he's only made three films. He's taken a book that many have called unfilmable and made adapting it look easy as pie.

The montage over the credits is fantastic. Gave me the chills. The casting of all the leads is perfect. I read somewhere that Joaquin Phoenix and Hilary Swank were signed on at one point as Night Owl and Silk Spectre. Bullet fucking dodged. I thought Patrick Wilson and Malin Ackerman were spot on. The guy everybody's talking about though, is Jackie Earl Haley. He is so great I don't even have the words to describe how great he is. Kelly Leak is back, baby! Jeffrey Dean Morgan is also terrific as the Comedian. He makes you like him even though he's a coldhearted amoral bastard. Billy Crudup does a great job as Doctor Manhattan too. It's interesting how much his performance shines through all that glowing blue CGI. The guy that plays Ozymadias does a fine job. I think a slight misstep was made in that he seems a bit too creepy right off the bat, but it's a minor niggle. Carla Gugino also bears mentioning in the smaller role of Silk Spectre I. She's always great and she's great here too. Really nicely done old age makeup for her elderly scenes too.

I didn't really mind the tweak to the ending that a lot of people seem up in arms about. I think it works fine.

A few other minor niggles that didn't really spoil anything for me, but could probably have been changed for the better: Nixon doesn't really work. They should have only shown him from far away or briefly on tv. His makeup looks silly and fake. And having Lee Iacocca show up struck me as just kind of dumb.

What else? Hmm. The dwarf that plays the crime kingpin in the jailhouse is Kramer's buddy from Seinfeld and I found that to be distracting, but that's just my own problem. At least they didn't use Vern Troyer.

You know, I can't think of anything else wrong with it. It was great. Great, great, great. I can't wait for the director's cut. I hope it's 6 hours long.

I was gonna do a sketch of Rorschach but I didn't have time 'cause I'm such a busy bee. Here's a peek at things to come instead:
























Good weekend to ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

grippin' the grain!

Somebody is goin' to bleed,Udig?

thx
brethren,
t.J.

Sam Little said...

Thnak you, my friend! Really appreciate the feedback!