Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May I interest you in some Zuda?

So the Zuda competition for May has been up for a couple of weeks now. A really strong complement of competitors this month, I must say. The overall quality really seems to keep rising month after month.

A few of the May entries have risen to the top for me.















E
gets my vote for the top spot this round, due to the absolutely spectacular art by creator Crawdad Jones. I'm usually the kind of guy that prioritizes story over art, but this guy just knocked me out of my socks with an incredibly expressive and dynamic style. Can't make heads or tails of the story thus far, but there's enough there to make me confident of a wild ride ahead. E is currently in third place, so it needs your vote to continue!















Celadore
is another favorite. Writer/artist Caanan makes very good use of the initial 8 screens to set up his plot and characters, and has a very cool twist on the vampire-slayer concept. Very slick and appealing animation-style art too. Looks like this one could be a lot of fun, and it's just managed to snatch the number one slot from Action, Ohio this week. It'll be interesting to see if it can hold onto that brass ring.















Rounding out my faves for May is Colonel MacTagart by Steve Steiner. Steve is the first guy to double up on Zuda. His first entry featured the underrated Croc Man, but this one is even funnier, if you ask me. Steve's done some experimenting with background elements on this one and has really come up with a uniquely cool looking style, with cartoony figures set against a lushly gorgeous environment. Plus, y'know, it's funny. The Colonel is hovering in 9th place, though, so it doesn't look like Mister Steiner's going home with the big prize this month.
Get cracking on a new entry, Steve! Third time's the charm!

Congratulations and good luck to the whole May gang!

1 comment:

Steve Steiner said...

thanks for the plug sam! i just found this and really appreciate it! I voted for Untrue tales and there's no doubt in my mind you'll get in again!

-steve