Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Good Haircuts and Bad Doctors

Say what you will about our intrepid antihero Gabe, but the boy had good taste in comics. Leastways, if you ask me.

Here are a couple of Gabe's "homages" to two giants of the comic book universe:













































As far as I'm concerned, Secret Wars is the pinnacle of old-fashioned superhero comics. It's a love it or hate it series for most, but I stand with both feet planted firmly in the "love" camp. Mike Zeck's art (especially a couple of the covers, like the Doom one that Gabe is referencing) is to die for. I even own a couple of original pages, the crown jewels of my (meager) original art collection. Bob Layton did some solid issues in the middle, but for me Secret Wars is all about Zeck. This is one of those books where just the smell of the pages brings me back to a particular place and time. I can close my eyes and picture the gas station where I bought most of the issues. Damn, but that was a fun series.

And Paul Smith's run on the Uncanny X-Men in the 80's was second only to the legendary Byrne/Claremont run in pure X-Men perfection. Smith's Storm will always be the defining version of the character for me, even moreso than Byrne's. Gabe would appear to agree.

No comments: