Monday, July 26, 2010

Hunting for Monkeys

Another week rolls by and the comics roll in:





















The Hunter II page 19



















Kung Fu Monkeyface page 3

Lots of cool news coming out of the San Diego comicon this weekend. Man, I can't wait for Joss Whedon's Avengers. In my eyes, that guy is the perfect choice for that movie. It's a damn shame that Ed Norton isn't along for the ride. I recently rewatched The Incredible Hulk on DVD and after checking out the deleted scenes, I really wish they'd release a director's/Norton cut of that one. The stuff that Norton was fighting for really would have made it a better film. I like Mark Ruffalo though, so it's not a huge blow to the Avengers, but it would've been cool to keep up the continuity between all the films. Heck, I even miss Terence Howard.

Saw Inception this weekend. It's pretty much just as great as everyone says, but I can't say I feel the need to see it twice to understand it or anything. Also, this is the first film where DiCaprio finally seems like a grown man. Not sure what it is, maybe he's beefed up a bit or something, but this is really the first time he doesn't seem like a teenager trying to act like a grown-up. I've always thought he was a fine actor but I've had trouble accepting him in previous films as a tough guy or husband/father. Now it looks like he's turned a corner, so maybe I won't have to suspend my disbelief quite so much next time he teams up with Scorcese.

Also finished a really teriffic book this weekend -
When Will There Be Good News?
by Kate Atkinson.
























This is the third book in her Jackson Brodie series, and they keep getting better as she goes along. They're sort of mystery books, but a step up from your run of the mill crime serials. The writing is just phenomenal. I found myself smiling giddily just at the language on every page. It's like poetry, only without the foofiness. Brilliant stuff.

Okay, here's a sketch:























I've been re-reading Sienkiewicz' New Mutants lately.
Hence the eyebrows.

Have it good!

No comments: