Monday, November 9, 2009

Not quite Clean yet

Here we are again. Another not-so-lovely November Monday.

Here's your weekly dose of Untrue Tales:

Karen Comes Clean page 16

Didn't finish any novels this week, but I did burn through the latest X-Factor collection. A Secret Invasion tie-in by Peter David and Larry Stroman.















I've been enjoying the David's latest iteration of X-Factor. It's the only X-book I read nowadays (other than Astonishing X-Men but I'm still waiting for the trade paperback of Ellis' run). I really tried to get into Brubaker and Fraction's stuff but it's really just left me cold despite my manlove for all things Brubaker. I think he does better with more street level stories than over-the-top superhero action. It's too bad, 'cause I really love the X-Men but I just haven't dug too many of the stories in recent years other than Morrison's and Whedon's stuff. Guess I'm turning into an old fart.

But back to X-Factor. I've really enjoyed this book. I enjoy David's characterization and the fact that X-Factor has operated mostly in its own little corner of the Marvel universe, telling stories without being too terribly affected by larger events while still acknowleding them and running with some of the interesting plot threads left over from House of M. However, it's suffered a bit of late by having some key characters like Rahne the werewolf shunted off into other books by editorial mandate. And this latest collection that ties in to Secret Invasion was just plain ol' crappy. I liked the larger Secret Invasion event, but this story seemed like your standard going through the motions tie-in. She-Hulk pops up, pretty much simply 'cause David writes that book too. And I really didn't care for Stroman's art. To my eyes it was just plain ugly. It really broke with the sort of noirish style that the book's artists have held to more or less up to this point. Oh well. I'll give X-Factor one more chance when the next collection comes out, but it might have run its course for me.

On the movie side, I saw a couple of good ones and one awful one.

Drag Me to Hell is Sam Raimi's return to the horror genre that kicked off his career and he doesn't disappoint.
























Seriously funny, seriously creepy, seriously gross. Alison Lohman does great work as the bank exec cursed by an old gypsy woman for foreclosing on her house. She is called upon to do some seriously gross stuff in the call of her actorly duties. Seems like every other scene some nasty goo or icky bug or toothless old woman's tongue is going into poor Alison's mouth. Ugh. Good scary stuff. You'll know where the whole thing is going pretty much from beginning to end, but it's a fun nasty ride anyhow. Stay far the fuck away if you're the least bit squeamish though. Goo galore.

(500) Days of Summer is a dandy romantic comedy that puts a nice little spin on the old conventions.
























The guy from Third Rock from the Sun is awkwardly charming. Zooey Deschanel is awfully cute. The movie skids back and forth through time and is vaguely reminiscent of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind without really coming anywhere near the brilliance of that movie. It's perfectly fine though. Worth a rental to watch with a girl you like.

Sunday nights at my house is crappy romantic comedy night and this week my girl and I saw one of the crappiest: The Ugly Truth with the chick from Knocked Up and King Leonidas. This was really really terrible and makes you wonder if the actors were embarrassed to be in it. I vaguely recall the Grey's Anatomy chick complaining that Knocked Up portrayed women badly, but in this movie she plays such a complete shrewish bimbo that it boggles the mind. It's really the most unbelievably chauvinst caricature of an uptight neurotic career-gal that I've ever seen. Of course she has to learn how to loosen up from the King of Sparta playing a piggish shock jock who tells her she needs to spend more time "flicking her bean" and buys her vibrating underpants. The King needs to be more choosy in his movie choices. More Guy Richie less by-the-numbers "romance" please. Another weird thing about this movie - a bunch of fairly well known actors appear just to say one line or two of absolutely no importance and are then never seen again. Like the short guy from Entourage and the guy from that Aaron Sorkin show who's the brother of that guy who used to be on the Daily Show. Okay, maybe they're not that well-known, but still, what was it about this script that made all these people agree to be in this movie? 'Cause it's an ugly pile of shit. And that's the truth. Really, it's even worse than that awful bit of wordplay I just did there.

Okay, here's a sketch:
























And I'm out.

3 comments:

Gabe Ostley said...

That sketch has gotta be Alec Guiness from 'The Man in the White Suit' right?? Schweet! Man, 'Drag Me to Hell' was the most fun I've had in the theater in a long time. People really need to see this with someone who is really squeamish. They scream, gag, cover their eyes, jump out of their seat, and you just sit back and enjoy both of the shows laughing hysterically/maniacally. That's what I did anyways.

Sam Little said...

Hmmm. Nope. I haven't seen that one. Should I? I can't remember who this guy is. I think it's just some random dude from the newspaper.

Gabe Ostley said...

I haven't seen it for awhile but I remember it being pretty dang funny. That Obi Wan was a looney!