Monday, October 26, 2009

Last Monday Before November

Man, did October just come sprinting through with it's ass on fire or what? It's nearly Halloween and I'm still having a hard time leting go of summer.

Whaddayagonnado?

How about a new page of the ol' Untrue?

Karen Comes Clean page 14

So I'm pretty wrapped up in yet another secret project that's got ahold of my heart and putting on the squeeze, so I didn't finish a book this week. Prolly next.

I did see a pretty good movie - the latest from Sam Mendes, Away We Go.



Pretty good movie pretty much sums it up. Jim Halpert stars as a nice guy with a nice pregnant girlfriend played by Maya something from Saturday Night Live. They're kinda worried they might be losers and they're kinda right. But they're also kinda charming. Who doesn't like Jim Halpert? So they go on a trip to visit different places they might wanna live and meet a bunch of other kinda losers, some charming, some not. Maggie Gyllenhaal shows up as one of the less than charming losers in the funniest scenes of the film. Who doesn't like Maggie Gyllenhaal? Also, the guy that plays Jim Halpert on the Office knockoff Parks and Recreation plays Jim Halpert's brother in this movie which amused me. I didn't realize it 'til the end credits but Away We Go was written by Dave Eggers and his wife Vendela Vida (what a great name). I really liked Eggers' book A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I found his second book You Shall Know Our Velocity so boring that I couldn't finish it. I haven't read his third book What is the What 'cause y'know, the second book. I might read it now though. It got pretty good reviews. And Dave and the missus wrote a pretty good movie.


Here's a sketch:


















Have a happy ol' Halloween what's comin'!

3 comments:

Gabe Ostley said...

Hey Sam, that Westlake book sounds pretty damn good. Never read anything by him before. Do you recommend starting with that one, or another by him? Also, dude, you got to join Shelfari. http://www.shelfari.com/

Sam Little said...

My favorite Westlake book is THE AX. It's one of my all-time favorite books in general.

He's also pretty famous for writing the Parker books under the name Richard Stark. That's the series that Darwyn Cooke has just started adapting into Graphic Novels.

I haven't read any of the Parker books yet, but I've got the first two sitting patiently on my shelf. From what I've heard they are awesome.

Gabe Ostley said...

Cool man. That AX book kinda looks like Bachman's Roadwork in a way... Yeah, gonna have to check it out. Hey kickass work on the latest Tale of Untruth too. I could listen to that Karen tell stories all night. I also am reminded why you keep backing off of inking anything outside- these pages look like they took a few hundred hours to produce! :)