Monday, June 8, 2009

Hunting High and Low

Ah yes, it's an Ah-ha reference. As an Oslonian I am compelled to make such references from time to time.

Check out the latest from the bent mind of young Gabriel:


And here's a piece inspired by the work of Alex Maleev, one of my faves:
















Man, I'm sure looking forward to that Spider-Woman series. Was there ever a nerdier sentence written?

I've really been slacking on the ol' blog writing of late. Life just keeps getting busier and busier. So, at last mention I was working on the Norwegian book Out Stealing Horses.
























This book won a bunch of awards and stuff, but for me it was merely OK. Vaguely interesting stuff about a boy's relationship with his father in the post-WWII Norwegian countryside. Lots of stuff about how great it is to work with your hands. Salt of the earth and all that. Bit of a snooze.

So after that one, I needed some high calorie entertainment. A friend lent me Plague Year and Plague War by Jeff Carlson.











































These are the first two parts of a post-apocalyptic trilogy about the struggle to reclaim present-day Earth after a plague of nanotechnology wipes out the entire population of the world below 10000 feet. Very suspenseful, page-turning stuff. This guy could be the successor to Michael Crichton. I'll definitely be picking up the third book when it comes out in November.

After those two I read A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin (of Rosemary's Baby fame).

















A great twisty thriller. You could read it in a day.

Now I'm working on another Norwegian book called Flaggermusmannen by Jo Nesbø. The title translates as The Batman and it opens with a quote from Frank Miller. It's a crime novel about a Norwegian detective. My hopes, they is high. I'll report back on how this one turns out.

Until next time....

Bye.

2 comments:

Peter Timony said...

So, do you really talk to yourself when making comics? Do you say things like, "Bitchin'" and "You in trouble now!"

Sam Little said...

Doesn't everybody????