Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Zudoctober

A new month. A new Zuda competition. But this one with a twist! The Brothers Timony are guest editors this month and have hand picked the ten entries going head to head for the big banana. And a fine job it is they've done, the wee laddies. This month's crop of contestants collectively has perhaps the finest art on display of any single contest.

However, I'm only going to sing the praises of one comic in particular this round, 'cause it's just so good that it's in a league of its own. And that comic is AZURE by saulone.


















The art in this comic is so striking that I am compelled to just stare deep into the blue. And then stare some more. Nothing short of spectacular. Just take a good long gaze at that panel above. That is the good shit, mez ameez. And the best news of all is that the caliber of the writing matches that of the artwork. Saulone has masterfully created a sense of place and atmosphere that really makes you feel as if you are a part of this strange new world. I swear I could almost hear the sound effects pinging in my head and feel the textures of the catwalks and walls and water. Reading this comic reminds me a bit of playing the game MYST. I really liked that game. And I really like this comic.

AZURE is a real artistic achievement. I reeeeeeealllllly hope this one takes October by storm. I want the next chapter. Need. Must. Will.

Vote AZURE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey SL! Thanks so much for the kind words and support! I can't believe they nicked me to 3rd, despite soo many views and favorites. Alas!

Untrue Tales rules and keeps getting better. You certainly make me realize there is life after Zuda for great reads should Azure go down in flames there.

You're aces!